Now Playing Tracks

mamayuuma:

nayx:

date a boy who wears shoes that light up

OK NO BUT WHEN I WENT TO PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL, THERE WAS A DUDE WHO HAD LEGIT LIGHT UP SNEAKERS AND THIS GIRL WENT UP TO HIM AND ASKED HIM OUT BECAUSE SHE THOUGHT HIS SHOES WERE THE COOLEST GOD DAMN THING AND THEY WENT TO PROM TOGETHER AND THEY HAVEN’T BROKEN UP FOR 3 YEARS NOW ALL BECAUSE OF THIS KID’S GOD DAMN LIGHT UP SNEAKERS

deathcomes4u:

apolloniangasket:

fluffmugger:

ryttu3k:

shirilee:

keeperofthehens:

love-lust-rockyhorror:

listoflifehacks:


If you like this list of life hacks, follow ListOfLifeHacks for more like it!

I love how this post is like “Oh, clean up some of the nastiest, hard to clean shit with coke!” but doesn’t mention “Hey, you actually ingest this stuff that can clean CORRODED CAR BATTERIES.”

Uhg.

Heyyy this is because when you put carbon dioxide to make the carbonated water, you get carbonic acid. Carbonic acid varies in how much the pH is, especially in the different coke products. Strong enough to dissolve rust but not steel or any of the metals mentioned here.

But here’s the thing, carbonic acid is not one of the 6 strong acids. You know what is one of those? Hydrocholric acid. You know where you naturally secrete hydrocholric acid? Your stomach. Hydrochloric acid is some nasty stuff and WILL eat away at a screw if allowed to soak long enough. If you ever got just drop of a diluted solution on your skin in chem lab, then you can see where that would happen very easily.

The stronger acid wins. Your tummy is fine when you drink coke. Your tummy makes acid strong enough to fuck that corroded battery up. It can handle a can of coke. Please don’t swallow a screw or something to test this tho, please.

thank you science side of tumblr <3

Seriously. You could probably do all of these with lemon juice (citric acid) or vinegar (ethanoic, or acetic, acid) just because acids work in pretty similar ways. Actually, when you see people recommending vinegar as a household cleaner? This is what it’s doing!

Also, as someone who has accidentally inhaled hydrochloric acid fumes, TRUST ME, THE CARBONIC ACID IS MUCH BETTER.

Every time I see a hysterical post on modern food I just kinda point and laugh

Because dude. Dude.  You know what you breathe in and out every fucking second to survive? Oxygen. An incredibly corrosive gas that is probably responsible for more deaths across the history of the planet than anything else. Not only that, it’s a biproduct of photosynthesis. You literally rely on plant excretions to survive

Do you know what most of your body is made up of? Water. Which, given enough time, will destroy anything.

That morning coffee you like? Well shit, caffeine - lifeblood to many - is actually an incredibly potent nerve toxin (If you’re an insect). Plants actually produce that shit as an insecticide.

That refreshing zing from citrus?  Acid.  That juicy smack of a tomato? Acid and cadmium.  That tart in an apple? Arsenic.  That seasoning you put all over your fish and chips? Acid strong enough to destroy seashells - life that has evolved to survive living in a salt-drenched sea.

Stop being a tit and drink your damned coke.

beware the sugar content tho -.- 

Sugar is by far the worse part of the deal. Sugar will fuck you up on a bacterial level rather than just a corrosive one (Hope you brush your teeth with flourinated toothpaste, it’s one of the best defenses against acid wear on tooth enamel).
But no seriously, look up the effects too much sugar can have on your body, it is by far more terrifying than anything carbonic acid can do.

HOWEVER. There are other important to note chemical reactions that can occur when you ingest certain soft drinks:

Anybody that takes Vitamin C (and most people should) avoid the following Soft drinks Sunkist, Fanta, Diet Coke, Sprite, & Pepsi Max.  These drinks contain Sodium Benzoate 211 on the label.
A chemical reaction between Vitamin C and Sodium Benzoate creates Benzine a highly Carcinogenic chemical (story by Channel 9) Benzine has the ability to severely damage the DNA in the Mitochondria to the point that it totally inactivates it, knock’s it out altogether.

The Mitochondria consumes Oxygen to give you energy, and if you damage it, then the cell starts to malfunction very seriously, often Fatally, a whole array of Disease’s has been tied to the damage to the DNA, including Parkinson’s Disease and quite a lot of Neuro-Degenerative Disease’s’.

source: http://www.cancercompass.com/message-board/message/all,30273,0.htm

There is more there about other reactive properties with various common substances like mints when you eat them too close to drinking some soft drinks.

Basically what you have to keep in mind is drink them sparingly if possible, and probably only with pizza or disgustingly fatty or salty foods at parties.

We make Tumblr themes